Thomas Cook’s bosses will face scrutiny as part of an investigation into the tour operator’s collapse.
Business secretary Andrea Leadsom asked the official receiver, which oversees liquidations, to look at whether bosses’ actions “caused detriment to creditors or to the pension schemes”.
The request came amid criticism over executive salaries at the firm.
The government has said it will run a “shadow airline” for two weeks to repatriate 155,000 UK tourists.
Transport secretary Grant Shapps said its response to the crisis was “on track so far” and “running smoothly”.
- Live: Latest updates as holidaymakers are flown home
- Thomas Cook: Much-loved brand with humble roots
- Thomas Cook: Your questions answered
- Thomas Cook customers in shock over flight prices
- What went wrong at Thomas Cook?
- ‘The staff were crying and it was very sombre’
But some people have complained of long queues and disruption at airports.
Ricky Houston said his flight to Newcastle from Corfu was delayed by nine hours on Monday.
“I feel sorry for the reps because I don’t think they knew anything either. It was the hotel which kept us up to date,” he said.
Mr Shapps, who earlier attended an emergency Cobra government meeting on the government’s response, said: “People will experience delays, we’re not running the original airline, but we intend to get this done all in the next two weeks and then end this phase of the rescue.”
He also stressed people should not come home early from their holidays but should “carry on and leave on the date they were supposed to leave, having first checked the Thomas Cook website before leaving for the airport”.